Benazir Bhutto R.I.P.

Please read:



Daughter of Destiny

by

Christopher Hitchens

He is a gifted writer. Now for my personal reaction to this sad crime against civil society.



I am very saddened by the brutal assassination of Benazir Bhutto. When I was in high school I tried to be on the debate team but I was nervous in the service of the Central Bobcats debate squad. My most memorable "Extemp" question was about the former P.M. She had recently come to power and it was novel for a woman to be leading a Muslim country. I learned that she had been educated at Harvard and that she was now trying to tame that snake pit of a political system. She had been in exile but was now back in Pakistan and it was dangerous but there she was at rallies trying to inspire the people. It would be easy to say that it is impossible but that seems defeatist. It is totally clear that Musharraf is never going to do the right thing.

I hope that those involved in the movement to restore a better government to Pakistan can be inspired by her bravery and move forward. This is a sad day.

Comments

Popular Posts